Sherlock

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationTARDIS, 221B, Hogwarts, Middle-Earth
... aka one more bloody series I'm obsessed with, I actually lost count already.

Anyway, ...

Posted Image

...The series created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss (should probably learn their names) is based on the works of Conan Doyle, obviously, but takes place in modern London which surely does add some interesting elements to it. The two main men are played by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman (guess who's who) ... awesomely. It's quite a short series actually, only three 90 min episodes in a season. Season 1 was broadcast on BBC in July and August 2010, season 2 kicked off January 1, 2012.

Season 1:
- A Study in Pink
- The Blind Banker
- The Great Game

Season 2:
- A Scandal in Belgravia
- The Hounds of Baskerville
- The Reichenbach Fall

The latest episode (The Hounds of Baskerville) was released only a couple of days ago, that's why remember...

USING OF SPOILERS IS ADVISED.

Otherwise goats will be involved © cause I haven't yet seen even s2e1, so I warned you... :dwarf:

Also, Wikipedia promises a DVD with season 2 on January 23 which is freaking awesome and I want it...

And it actually struck me just now, the series takes place in London, and I'm bloody obsessed with the city even though I've never been there, but with this series I actually completely forgot to drool over some beautiful sights and great atmosphere, and that's a shame...

And yes, I'm to blame this series for my excessive usage of the word 'bloody' lately... Freaking British...

Ok, that's pretty much it... Discuss the series, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc, and I was actually wondering how you guys feel about such interesting vision of Conan Doyle, modern times, that's not exactly what you expect to see with the name 'Sherlock' in the title, and some purists may probably have a go at it...

So yeah, lots of drooling over the series, Benedict and his voice is yet to come, so see you... :P

I wanna see Emppu's strings catch fire from the speed of his fingers, I want to see Tuomas' keys be destroyed, I want to see Marco's bass strings torn apart and Jukka's cymbals splinter... SOLOS, DAMNIT!!

dragonprincess

dragonprincess
  • 1100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
Was about time to have a topic about Sherlock :)

I confess that I was slightly afraid to use a taxi in London because of the first episode of season 1.
Great to hear that season 2 has finally started. :)

"But one day'll cease to be

Greet the last light of the library"

19.03.08 - 18.03.09 - 14.04.12 - 03.05.12 - 21.11.15

The Escapist - Official Tuomas Holopainen Website

Los

Los
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
Last year I was watching the Emmys or the Golden Globes or something and I saw that Sherlock was nominated and I was like "huh, they've remade it again" and I always love a good murder mystery so I kept it somewhere in the back of my mind to watch it sometime, maybe, if I remembered. Then awhile later I (accidentally, I think) noticed the first season was available on Netflix streaming, so I harassed BMoiz into watching it with me and I'm glad I did, because it's a brilliant show.
I don't drool over Benedict Cumberbatch but I think he's excellent in the part, and Martin Freeman is excellent as well and often hilarious, especially at the end of S1E1. I just think the entire series is done so well and it beautifully shot and it all fits together perfectly, and that's rare. Almost always there will be a movie or TV series that I love, but there will be some aspect of it that could have been better, and nothing like that really stands out to me with Sherlock. The settings, the acting, the plots; everything works together and it makes an overall great series.
I've only watched season one (which I think got progressively better, the first episode was the weakest in my opinion), and I'm not going to start season two yet because I have six more hours of Forbrydelsen Part Dos to watch, and I only watch one foreign murder mystery series at a time. But I'm very exited, because soon!!

Calinn

Calinn
  • Members
  • 620 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationMontepulciano, Siena, Italy
I'm loving this show so much! Intriguing and well crafted.

// In a hole, there hides the Great Champion, mistaking eclipses for nighttime / the lonely Queen, she knows every burrow in the soaked soil of the Garden/ through her flooded hallways she spies / a dying King under a fake sky//

*Behold! The silent King of Void*

My personal blog The Owlet's Nest 

Crystalring

Crystalring
  • 100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationDublin
It's amazing. It's shot so beautifully and so stylishly that it feels like more than a tv show. The acting is incredibly strong from everyone, especially from Benedict in The Hounds when
Spoiler
I have a real soft spot for Mrs Hudson, though I'll forever only see her as Miss Bat from The Worst Witch :P I was over in London last summer, got there the day before they finished filming but I didn't see anything really. There were a few filming trucks and people hanging around up the road from where I was staying but nobody of real interest. I did get my photo taken outside Speedy's Cafe though :)

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
*sigh* *wants to London*

I was a tiny bit sceptical about the series at the beginning too, but as I was interested in the guy who's gonna play Bilbo in The Hobbit I thought I'd have a look. Not dissapointed at all.

The acting is really amazing, even more than that. Freeman and Cumberbatch are beyond great, and I also liked this Jim Moriarty guy in s1e3, the whole last scene quite kicks ass actually. And I agree that it's more like small films rather than a TV show, everything is of such a high standard, definitely not like many other series. And about Benedict, damn, when I first saw his photos on the Internet I didn't think he was any handsome, quite the contrary actually, but in Sherlock he is amazing, he has so much charisma and power it's incredible...

I watched s2e1 yesterday FINALLY, and that was easily my fave episode so far, I think... At the beginning it was a bit corny with all the jokes etc, hilarious still, and after that there were some cheesy moments, but it was still so damn well made (as always) I couldn't possibly fail to like it... And the woman playing Irene Adler was a good choice I think, she totally has something in her.

I wanna see Emppu's strings catch fire from the speed of his fingers, I want to see Tuomas' keys be destroyed, I want to see Marco's bass strings torn apart and Jukka's cymbals splinter... SOLOS, DAMNIT!!

Devious Mischievous

Devious Mischievous
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationKhaotika
*takes a deep breath*

I LOVE Sherlock! :wub:

When I visited Los in October, she recommended that I watch the show, and it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I finally ended up watching series one. I figured it would be good as the writers also happen to write for Doctor Who, but I didn't know I would love the show as much as I do. I watched all three episodes in one day and wondered why the hell there were only three. http://img811.images...25168357274.gif I was dying for more! Fortunately, I didn't have to wait too long as series 2 was going to air a few weeks later.

As others have said, the show was wonderfully filmed and the acting is superb. I don't drool over Benedict Cumberbatch, but I do think he has lovely eyes and I love his low voice. :wub: I do have a bit of a crush on Moriarty (Andrew Scott), though, and I try to fit some of his lines into everyday conversations.... http://img811.images...25168357274.gif (Don't make it weird). Has anyone see the video of Moriarty 'hacking' into John's blog recently? :giggle:

I really wish there were more than three episodes to a series and that The Reidenbach Fall isn't the last episode of the show. :cry: MY BODY IS NOT READY FOR THIS.

Also, if you're a fan of the show and happen to have a Tumblr account, I recommend tracking the Sherlock tag and the Moriarty tag on Tumblr. :)

"STAND for what you truly believe in!" -- Devin Townsend, Poltergeist

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock

I figured it would be good as the writers also happen to write for Doctor Who, but I didn't know I would love the show as much as I do.

You see, that was one of the things that nearly put me off. Moffatt was bareable writing one offs (in fact some of the best nuwhu were his) but when he has a longer over arching story it turns to tripe of the lowest level.

Thankfully though Sherlock has worked quite well and is a lot more enjoyable then it should be. Still don't think we've got the perfect Sherlock Holmes actor but the way Cumberbatch and Freeman bounce off each other makes it all work brilliantly and while there are times the story is too obvious it's something one can sit and enjoy in a quiet evening.

Sardith

Sardith
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Burial Place of the South Folk
I really wasn't that taken with the newest instalment to be honest. I watched it last night and I didn't think it compared very well with the first series and part one of this trilogy. It just didn't have the same intrigue, and it's always hard to take west-country folk seriously!

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
:notme:

No season 3 this year:

*S2E1 SPOILER ALERT* http://www.guardian....bbc-nude-scenes

... Stephenson said that Sherlock fans will have to wait at least until next year for more episodes of the hit show, starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
Sherlock fans had to wait 18 months between series one and two, and have already been asking for more episodes.
But the schedules of the cast and writers, the demands of the complex scripts and quality look of the show mean a fast turnaround is not possible. ...

I think I might actually die right now...

dragonprincess

dragonprincess
  • 1100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
Oh... that means 2013 then, doesn't it?

*tries to resist clicking the spoiling link*

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
No shit Sherlock! One of your main actors is in one of the most anticipated films for a while as the lead role and he might be a bit busy for a while. 2013 could be ambitious enough for this one.

Los

Los
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • GenderNot Telling

:notme:

No season 3 this year:

*S2E1 SPOILER ALERT* http://www.guardian....bbc-nude-scenes

I think I might actually die right now...

http://www.nightwish...ghtwish/lol.gif For some reason I thought Sherlock aired whenever shows in the UK air that can get away with more.http://www.nightwish.com/forum/style_emoticons/Nightwish/tongue2.gif I watched episode one last night and I'll watch the second today, before the Golden Globes. Lots of TV to watch today. Busy day. Anyway, I loved it and I continue to be impressed. I'm also glad they're taking their time writing and putting together the show and I really hope it at no point ends up being rushed because of audience demand or anything like that. I almost said sponsor demand but the BBC doesn't have commercials, right? I had also totally forgotten that Martin Freeman was in The Hobbit because I couldn't care less about it, but I guess it will work out well anyway because I'm sure he'll be very busy for awhile doing promo for the film.

Crystalring

Crystalring
  • 100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationDublin
OMG nhidcahkdhkhuferbfv that was the best episode ever. My heart is broken. As much as I want Benedict to get a bafta, Martin Freeman deserves one too. So does Andrew Scott. Everybody does. All the awards for everyone!
/coherent thoughts not possible right now

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
Damn, I understand that both Martin and Benedict will be busy in The Hobbit, and that the series like that needs lots of time to write the plot, and I'm all for it, really glad about it actually, cause such actors in The Hobbit are real treasure, and it's good that they understand the need for quality plots for this series, BUT the thought that I'll watch episode 3 today, and that's it, no more Sherlock for a year, makes me wanna ... go jump off the cliff...

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
Well that last episode was crap. It's hard to build tension that much when the actor playing your villain is that bad and a few weeks earlier the same ending was used. I like some of the writing but the drama was taken out of it around half way through, shame as MF and BC were working their little arses off.

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
HOLY. FUCKING. CRAP.

I need a breather.

Brilliant mindblow, just brilliant.

Such awesome shows should be legally forbidden.

Devious Mischievous

Devious Mischievous
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationKhaotika
@Crystalring and Lass: I love your avatars! :clap:

I watched The Reichenbach Fall today. Basically...what Lass said.

And yes! All the awards for everyone! http://img822.images...71/approvem.gif

"STAND for what you truly believe in!" -- Devin Townsend, Poltergeist

Los

Los
  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
The last episode was good, but not as good as the episode before it, which wasn't as good as the episode before that. :unsure: It still had all the things I love about the series - the acting, the editing, the overall look - except for the plot, which had good parts, but when you raise the bar as high as the previous season, and the first episode of this season, I'm not that easily impressed.http://www.nightwish.com/forum/style_emoticons/Nightwish/tongue2.gif I prefer the self-contained plots over the drawn-out Moriarty storyline.

burning_flame87

burning_flame87
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • GenderMale
I am about to watch the third ep of s2 now.
I didn't mind the first of the series even though I didn't like what they did with Irene Adler. It was a tad shallow that the only way they could think of putting in a 'clever' woman was to make her a seductress. I think that could have been done better.

I didn't like the second episode much at all sadly. I think the issue is that Hound is the best story Doyle wrote by quite a long shot and it's certainly my favourite. The best part about it is that the story is utterly terrifying, ominous and bleak. It has that Romeo and Juliet quality about it – you know that they're going to die at the end but you are desperate for it not to happen. Same goes for the Hound. You read that story and it has you believing that there really is a demonic hellhound out on the moor even though you know that there is a rational explanaition. This episode had none of that. It wasn't scary and it wasn't really clever. It had the same camp humour as all the rest but thats most of what can be said.

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
Ok, now at last I can speak coherently…

You know, from all the series I watched, this was the best season finale so far. I wasn’t quite impressed with the beginning, tbh, but the rest of the episode made up for it a hundred times. Martin and Benedict are brilliant as usual, and the plot is great, not without some drawbacks and nothing from Conan Doyle of course, but it was freaking captivating. I really feel like rewatching the episodes countless times cause after watching only once it is somehow not possible to grasp all their awesomeness. Seriously, the more I watch, the more I love the acting, especially Benedict’s, and the show and everything… It is somehow hard to restrain from flooding everything with it cause holy shit, this is amazing… <3 (Argh, where IS my love smiley? :dwarf: )

About the Hound episode, I think it was my least favourite from season 2, but I still liked it immensely, this dialogue in the bar (or whatever it was) was brilliant, agree with Crystalring here, and the moments afterwards were great just as well.

Definitely everyone there deserves an award of some kind. Such acting and writing should be somehow recognized.

Also, I like the character of Molly Hooper a lot...

And thanks, Devy! :happy: I like your avatar too, whenever I see it I think that I should probably watch Doctor Who, but then I think that I probably watch too many series already… :P

Black Wolf

Black Wolf
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationI am of the North
Since April is still excruciatingly far away, I need a new series to obsess over, so why not this one? Admittedly, my first thought when I saw that t he two seasons only have three episodes each, my first thought was "They're mocking us, right?" That seemed just pathetic to me. But then again, the 90-minute runtime does make up for it. I mean, that's six feature-length movies right there.

So far, I've only watched "A Study in Pink" and part of "The Blind Banker", but I'll catch up ASAP. Generally speaking, I never could understand this mindset of bringing works that take place in antiquity/middle ages/18th century/whatever settings and remaking them in the "modern" world. The result almost always sucks. But Sherlock has been an exception (although I still cringe whenever I hear about Dr. Watson having a blog. I'm sorry, that's just too jarring). The casting is nice so far and the acting is a bit more subtle than what we're probably used to (and I mean this as a compliment). Cumberbatch has a lot of heavy lifting to do, naturally, the character he's playing has such a legacy behind him and would be a huge handful for any actor, I don't care what his name is. Based on what little I've seen, he's aquitting himself admirably. He manages to capture the utter strangeness of Holmes' personality and his motor-mouth delivery reminds me of Jessie Eisenberg's brilliant performance in "The Social Network". One more thing about the casting: A lot will ride on the actor who plays Moriarity... He hasn't appeared yet, and I'm really curious to see what direction they choose to take his character.

Re the first episode:

Spoiler

I had my expectations coming into this series, but one thing that pleasantly surprised me was just how funny it was at points. There were quite a few laugh out loud moments in places that I wasn't quite expecting them.

I'm really looking forward to "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "A Scandal in Belgravia" (based on "A Scandal in Bohemia") since those are the only two Holmes stories that I vaguely remember reading and am somewhat familiar with. Irene Adler's character especially will be interesting to see here.
"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns, and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream."

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood."

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale
I'm glad you liked it! Would be interesting to see what you'll have to say after you finish season 2.

I actually really liked both Moriarty and Irene Adler, the actors do a really good job, Andrew Scott in s2e3 is freaking batshit insane. And Lara Pulver, whereas playing a typical vamp, does it awesomely and really has something in her (and is freaking gorgeous).

dragonprincess

dragonprincess
  • 1100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
I'm a few months late with my opinion on season 2 but it was even more awesome than season 1.
Spoiler

Somebody's Lass

Somebody's Lass
  • 702 posts
  • GenderFemale

Well, ABOUT THE FRIGGING TIME! :) 

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users