3 replies to this topic

Essexboyinwales

Essexboyinwales
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSouth Wales

Hi fellow Nightwish fans :cool:

Took me far too long to find a forum for the band, but it seems like this is the place to be!

I'm 45 and only got into the band this year; weirdly, through a thread started on the Marillion forum where someone was saying how disappointed they were with the new album!  Gradually people started to add that they thought it was growing on them, actually it was pretty good, etc...in the meantime they'd all been saying how it would be hard to be as good as Imaginaerum, so I bought this one first to see what the fuss was about...and boy was it good!  Immediately got EFMB and this album still completely blows me away; having now purchased all NW albums, it stands above them all (for me), and I think it's down to Floors vocals, she is something else.  And I have no baggage with the previous singers, it's all just history to me...

And so tomorrow I head to North London, and it's almost impossible to describe how much I am looking forward to it, despite being right up the back!  But I was there for Heart back in the late '80's and that was fine...

After discovering rock as a teenager (Maiden, Van Halen, King's X, Metallica, Suicidial Tendencies, etc.), my listening these days is very much of the prog variety, with my favourites being IQ, Marillion, Genesis, It Bites, Dream Theater, Big Big Train, etc.  But over the last few years, my tastes have also headed into the heavier end of the genre, mainly through discovering the amazing Ayreon!  Obviously, from there you can go in so many directions, so I discovered Threshold, Devin Townsend, etc.  I'll give anything a listen really if it sounds like it might float my boat, so I'll be looking for other recommendations from this site!  And, of course, trying to convince you lot about some of the "less heavy" prog stuff that I love so much (you have no threads on pretty much all of my favourites listed above :huh: :laugh: )

But anyway, only tomorrow night matters right now :woot:

Prisoners

Prisoners
  • 235 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationItaly
Hi and welcome, enjoy the concert tomorrow!

J_Finlay

J_Finlay
  • 156 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLargest Billingual University on Earth

Which part of Wales are you from?

What does matter is that there are vast emptinesses, places we have not been, worlds we have not seen.

http://www.physics.udel.edu/~watson/phys208/formulas/gauss1.gif

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1900 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Kingdom Of Stamppotten

Hey there in Wales,

Welcome to this forum from another progrock-lover. I think it might be my favourite music genre and I know for sure there are quite a few other forum members who do like it too! I quite like the old stuff (there was no escaping in the Netherlands when I was young - I'm 52 now) as well as the new stuff. Seeing that you already posted some bands that I've never heard of, it's always nice to exchange names of bands.

Some old and new progrock bands with threads on this forum are Ayreon/Anathema/Gazpacho/Porcupine Tree/The Gentle Storm/Earth & Fire/Shocking Blue (not all of it)/Dream Theater/Renaissance and The Gathering (if you can call it progrock?). I made a special thread for Dutch progrock 1965-1975. Feel free to ask/mail me. I'm looking forward to your (progrock) contributions! Maybe we should make a general PROGROCK thread? There's such a wealth in this genre from all over the world.  

┬┤dance me to your beauty with a burning violin, 

lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,

raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn,

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love┬┤

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users