Tarja Turunen pt. III

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Phantommime

Phantommime
  • 229 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
  • LocationMexico.
Actually there's another video and it looks like one of her heels snapped from all that jumping LOL

She almost pulled a floor vs floor too.
I'm the king of the bongo, king of the bongo bong.

Hear me when I come, baby.

Damian

Damian
  • Moderador
  • 1161 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationRosario, Argentina

It's been a year since the most hilarious Tarja's concert up to date.

Watching her playing Slaying The Dreamer, Until Silence, using common swearing words from Argentina, and having the time of her life on stage as I'd never seen her before. Priceless. I mean it, the tickets were indeed cheap, and the main reason is that we had no international musician in the band (well, Alex, but it's been almost 5 years since he moved here).

This was the end of a 3-year-long tour:

A whole year and I've just noticed today that when she was singing "where he had been that fateful night, a secret it must stay" she was looking confusedly at the transvestite guitar player (it's just part of the whole bunch of Asspera's characters), and she did the same while "with the wife of his best friend....". That was hell of a plot twist :P

JRA

JRA
  • Members
  • 185 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe North

Someone made a video showing some of her vocal changes. Sometimes it sounds like the devolution of Tarja but it is cool to see her trying new stuff.

This is really interesting. I very much prefer the original way she sang the NW songs, but it's nice seeing the chest voice with her solo stuff - it's different.  But I'm glad in the video they noticed Tarja does move around and dance/jump more often which of course affects her singing. She is probably more happy performing this way.

She's also had a kid between those two periods.

The quickest way to understand my candor:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7ksVubN5DhY

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2334 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

She's visiting Greece again this February. Can't wait to see her again! Despite some vocal complaints i have, her concerts are always a joy!

Phantommime

Phantommime
  • 229 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
  • LocationMexico.
new interview in spanish http://rockiller.com...a-turunen-2016/

ever dream ever dream ever dream... lol
I'm the king of the bongo, king of the bongo bong.

Hear me when I come, baby.

Florges

Florges
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany
What is it about?xD

Damian

Damian
  • Moderador
  • 1161 posts
  • GenderMale

The girl was telling Tarja about her personal experience with Ever Dream, someone used to dedicate it to her cause they had a "dream" together but it ended up being just a "fantasy" because of fear and ingenuity. Tarja replied, as usual, with her "fight for your dreams" speech cause she "believes in everdreams", and also said "sometimes men aren't as strong as women when it comes to fighting for your love when distance is involved, we're stronger for this kind of battles".

Florges

Florges
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany
Thank you =)

ifrit1100

ifrit1100
  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • GenderNot Telling

Sing for Me (Masters of Rock 2016):

Demins in You (Masters of Rock 2016):

So some of these were released on DVD. Any idea which songs?

new interview in spanish http://rockiller.com...a-turunen-2016/

ever dream ever dream ever dream... lol

I like that Tarja is talking about her style change. At the start I couldn't understand why she went in this direction because her classical/operatic style was very unique. But I understand her a bit more now :)

I used Google translate for these:

1) Hear and talk to me of this stylistic change: before you were Victorian, like a melancholy tone, and now you see a very rebellious and rocker Tarja.

You can definitely see that now I smile a lot more and I have so much fun on stage. Basically this is the big change: now I'm enjoying the music as he had never done before. Undoubtedly with Nightwish I have also lived memorable moments but has no place to be star of your own inspiration, interpret my own songs, not written by someone else. It is as if my audience now be more personal. But I also feel good singing some songs from Nightwish now.

2) What are your favorite Nightwish songs?

Oh wow! I could not tell, overall the album enjoyed most was 'Once' was the album, the songs were super developed, a great album. Many of these songs are my favorites: Ghost Love Score , The Phantom of the Opera ....

Love to Hate has become my favorite one live, I just love how Tarja sings it, it takes you from different emotions, her expression of anger at the beginning and ending in a very peaceful way when she says ''No more rain, brush away my sorrow'' gives me chills the entire performance, plus her dark sound it makes it sound better than the album.

Such a happy performance for Undertaker, she took her shoes off XD 

Florges

Florges
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

Phantom of the Opera was on Century Child :D its ok Tarja, its ok :D

Damian

Damian
  • Moderador
  • 1161 posts
  • GenderMale

I'm actually missing this song so much

This is one of those performances from her that I cannot stop watching her in amazement.

WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon
  • Members
  • 605 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationArgentina

I really hope she brings it back. I also miss Underneath and I love that performance :(

I also would like to see Damned and Divine returning.

El Sendero de los Elfos - Symphonic Metal blog :) Vote for your favorite Nightwish, Epica and Within Temptation album!

Damian

Damian
  • Moderador
  • 1161 posts
  • GenderMale

She played Damned and Divine last year in the SA tour, I'm glad I could finally listen to the full band version :D

WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon
  • Members
  • 605 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationArgentina

Yep, I know :D I prefer the "heavy version" (Damned Vampire and Gothic Divine), and I think it works better live.

One of those performances :)

El Sendero de los Elfos - Symphonic Metal blog :) Vote for your favorite Nightwish, Epica and Within Temptation album!

Florges

Florges
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

Just found this Performance, which i think is vocally kinda awesome. She hits actually reaaaally really low notes! about the minutes : 1:08 and 1:22!

about 2.25 she has a really nice note with her newer (headvoice? i have no clue). its sounds really beautiful,especially how she ends it with that soft vibration in her voice..

Ahasverus

Ahasverus
  • Members
  • 1139 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationColombia

It's always nice when Tarja wants to sing well.

I think it's the first time I've heard her sing Think for Me, one of my favorite songs from Phantom of the Opera, that was so cool.

Save Deep Silent Complete! ---- Why Nymphomaniac Fantasia is better than Endless Forms Most Beautiful (The Song)

sahara

sahara
  • Moderador
  • 1619 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

https://www.youtube....h?v=Gg64bmEZo_E

Just found this Performance, which i think is vocally kinda awesome. She hits actually reaaaally really low notes! about the minutes : 1:08 and 1:22!
about 2.25 she has a really nice note with her newer (headvoice? i have no clue). its sounds really beautiful,especially how she ends it with that soft vibration in her voice..

Everytime I read a negative opinion about her voice, I like to watch those vĂ­deos just to feel satisfaction of what wrong they are lol
''Music cleans souls everyday'' (Tarja Turunen)

''We have to keep the love going and music is the clue'' (Tarja and Floor live at MFVF)

Magnus

Magnus
  • 4292 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSweden

Someone made a video showing some of her vocal changes. Sometimes it sounds like the devolution of Tarja but it is cool to see her trying new stuff.

Thanks for sharing. Indeed, it does point out a lot of things we've already discussed on here. It's a great video to show all of the people who haven't followed her solo career and have just decided to not listen to either her or Nightwish after their split thinking she still sounds the same as always, still holding onto the belief that they cannot be good unless she comes back.

I think this video clearly shows that the split was for the best in the long run and that it's more exciting to see Tarja evolve as a solo artist than watching her cover old Nightwish tunes (which I think clearly shows she's not a good fit for that kind of music any more). I don't love every single song she's put out, but I think she does sound far more comfortable these days being able to sing songs exactly how she wants to and that is also reflected in her studio work.

As a side note, someone said in the comment section that Sharon was a high soprano. In what world? She is clearly a mezzo soprano with a very nicely developed head voice. Good luck finding a high soprano who can nail something as low as Murder.

Baki

Baki
  • 2483 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

I have to say, I prefer Tarja's most recent intro to Ever Dream than to anything she did with that song live when she was in NW. Who knows, maybe many NW songs would have sounded much better if she could use her chest voice back then. 

I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

Golden Eucariote 2016 - Nightwish Forum Awards - Vote until 31st January!!!!

WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon
  • Members
  • 605 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationArgentina

I prefer the old Ever Dream, but I really like this one too.

I wonder how would Nymphomaniac Fantasia sound these days...

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2334 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

While I also wouldn't like Tarja in Nightwish nowadays ,I think that we can't really be sure what her voice would have evolved to if she had stayed with the band till this day. I don't think it would be the same as it is nowadays.

Magnus

Magnus
  • 4292 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSweden

Maybe not, but it would have changed. It changed drastically already on Once compard to Century Child and especially the first three albums.

Serious Sam

Serious Sam
  • 1279 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
  • LocationGermany

As a side note, someone said in the comment section that Sharon was a high soprano. In what world? She is clearly a mezzo soprano with a very nicely developed head voice. Good luck finding a high soprano who can nail something as low as Murder.

I agree, but I think this classification of voices stuff is really overrated (in metal). No one is 100% this or 100% that, it's always an in-between thing. Even when you look at altos for example, there can be huge range differences between altos, depending on training and style of singing.

I'm not hot on her overdramatic style. Sometimes it sounds good, I love it on Stargazers, but the Everdream stuff in 1.15, urgh. 

My music: https://soundcloud.com/altairograph

"Out of the dark, into the light, and I'll break down the walls around my heart!
Imaginations from the other side" ~Blind Guardian, Imaginations from the other side

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2334 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

Maybe not, but it would have changed. It changed drastically already on Once compard to Century Child and especially the first three albums.

Definitely. But my point is we can't be certain of how it would have changed and if it would sound like it sounds today or not.

Baki

Baki
  • 2483 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

It probably would sound more or less the same. I doubt Tuomas would have urged her to go back to more operatic sound in the band, but would probably continue to utilize her whispery/girly mode and maybe also the newly found chest register. She would probably be singing much less operatic than she is today lol. 

I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

Golden Eucariote 2016 - Nightwish Forum Awards - Vote until 31st January!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users