Vuur

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2332 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

Anneke Van Giersbergen fans rejoice! Anneke has formed a new prog metal band togehther with Ed Warby on drums, Jord Otto and Ferry Duijsens on guitars, Johan Van Stratum on bass and Marcela Bovio also on vocals.

15181334_367985640216564_763392721330506

Their debut album will be released next Fall and a tour will follow!

Read more here: https://www.facebook...f=page_internal

I'm extremely interested in this band and can't wait for the first sample of their work. I'm also interested on how big of a part Marcela will have and I hope it's a bit more than backing vocals.

Metal Anneke is back!  :music:

OneOfTheLostOnes

OneOfTheLostOnes
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHolland
Guess they wanna keep The Gentle Storm for the music in which Arjen is involved, as this is basically TGS lineup? Either way, cannot possibly go wrong with Anneke and such a talented band!

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1833 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Kingdom Of Taai-Taai

So:

vuur.jpg

I think it's a brilliant name, but a bit hard to pronounce for foreigners. Only the possible pronounciation by the non-Dutch should be good for at least 100 posts. Or maybe it will be in Dutch only and for our home market? :P 

I bet Marcela does speak and can sing in quite good Dutch now as well. 

I'm looking forward to this one if Anneke indeed goes back to the heavier stuff!

´dance me to your beauty with a burning violin, 

lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,

raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn,

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

Serena

Serena
  • Moderador
  • 2647 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationSpain

Coool!!!! :)

MeadowsOfHeaven

MeadowsOfHeaven
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia
Dutch metal forces united! Seriously, it's nice to see members of ReVamp and SoP together. I'm quite curious to hear what Anneke is preparing this time!

I studied silence to learn the music...

HooPee

HooPee
  • Moderator/Moderaattori
  • 5252 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationTampere, Finland

I can't wait for this. This is absolutely a great news. 

And I'll speak to you silently
And know that you'll hear me
The feeling is more than I've ever known

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2332 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

Guess they wanna keep The Gentle Storm for the music in which Arjen is involved, as this is basically TGS lineup? Either way, cannot possibly go wrong with Anneke and such a talented band!

Exactly. She said that they'll ressurect TGS only when both Anneke and Arjen have time to compose music. And she will still release accoustic (pop rock?) music under her own name. Vuur will be her heavier side.

Baki

Baki
  • 2478 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

So, there is still her own album coming up early next year, or? 

I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

Golden Eucariote 2016 - Nightwish Forum Awards - Vote until 31st January!!!!

Harvest

Harvest
  • 1614 posts
  • GenderMale

So, there is still her own album coming up early next year, or? 

I think that proggier and heavier album she kept referring to is this one. 

But, it's Anneke van Giersbergen. Wouldn't be surprised if she manages to cook up some other collaboration as well :laugh: .

Looking forward. You just can't go wrong with this line-up.

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1833 posts
  • GenderMale

Introduction video on Youtube:

Well, already the (clearly not Dutch) voice-over girl can't pronounce it right :giggle: I've thought about it and I think the easiest way to say 'vuur' is to say the German word 'FÜR', only with a much cleaner uuuuuu-sound and a rolling R. If that makes sense :dunno:

Why do I think it's a very good name? Well, because Dutch bands and musicians tend to give their bands long and difficult names, especially when they are in Dutch like: Heideroosjes (little heath roses), Treurwilg (mourning willow), De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig (the youth of today) etc. Hilarious and easy to your average Dutch, but horrible to pronounce for foreigners AND thereby much more difficult to sell abroad (what always should be a consideration).

It's a bit of the same with band names in English like Golden Earring, Within Temptation, The Gathering. They just don't mouth very well and from a commercial point of view, you should that take into consideration as a Dutch band. I mean, when mentioning these three names in a conversation, others will have lost interest all together after doing it for the third time  :D   

I would never put a TH is a band's name, because it's a difficult part of the word and it slows the word down. So, although I like The Gathering for their music, I would have chosen something else for their name, because putting a TH twice in your name is not nice. You only can have the luxury of a long or difficult name if you're damn good and your music sells anyway. What were Sharon & Co. thinking when they came up with WT? It's a horrible name to say!  

Anneke herself had a mishap with Aqua de Annique and she had to change it. I think it's always been a bit of a Dutch naive treat, although there are enough signs that is has improved (Delain/Epica/Moke/Kensington/Kovacs). Because the world has become smaller and smaller (internet/touring/travelling is much easier), Dutch musicians of today seem to take this in consideration now.

That's why I'm really happy with VUUR for Anneke's new prog-heavy band. It stands for fire/passion/drive and it looks and mouths good. On her way to the top of the Billboard 100! She deserves it!

As Imagineer said, I also hope that Marcela will get a more prominent role, for she has a very good voice. After the success of The Gentle Storm, Anneke and Marcela and the others must have thought:"here lies some real artistic and commercial potential for us!".

Will VUUR be a Gentle Storm 2.0 (however, without Arjen's influence) or a The Gathering 3.0? I hope it'll be a mix.

edited: 2-12-2016  

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

Spectre

Spectre
  • 296 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationOuter Space

2017 can't come soon enough - sooo looking forward to this new collaboration! :music:

Nice to see that Marcela is on board and Jord who made a good impression with Revamp.

Serena

Serena
  • Moderador
  • 2647 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationSpain

VUUR will perform an exclusive warm-up show at Neushoorn, Leeuwarden NL on June 9, just before the summer festival season kicks off.

Don’t miss the first-ever VUUR show!

Burkhard

Burkhard
  • Members
  • 135 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

I think it's a brilliant name, but a bit hard to pronounce for foreigners. 

I remember the word (and its pronunciation) from the Dutch metal radio programme "VARA's Vuurwerk", which was aired on Hilversum 3 way back in the eighties and which I used to listen to regularly.

I'm looking forward to this one if Anneke indeed goes back to the heavier stuff! 

So am I. When I saw Anneke with The Sirens twice in 2014, the songs by her I enjoyed most were those from "Mandylion".

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1833 posts
  • GenderMale

@Burkhard

It's very funny and very nice to hear that you listended to 'Vuurwerk', while I have never heard of it (or it's part of my dementia). :whistle:

However, I did listen every week to Alfred Lagarde's 'Betonuur' (hour of concrete) on Hilversum 3, by the VARA as well. Hardrock and heavy metal were the main ingredients in that show. It was seriously heavy!!! At the end they played  'The Heaviest Five', chosen by the listeners. :dwarf:

It was broadcasted from 1976 till 1982, when Lagarde went to a commercial station and as so often, the appeal goes with the man who makes it. 

Some foreigners thought Hilversum I - IV were seperate towns!  :music:  There was a lot of protest when they changed it into the boring Radio I - IV. They took away some nice nostalgia with it and it was the beginning of the end for proper radio stations over here. In that time there were quite a few shows you just didn't want to miss. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I listen to the radio with purpose and it was certainly not Radio 3. 

Herman van Veen (very well known in Germany by the way) made a song about Hilversum 3 (dripping with sentiment):

Burkhard

Burkhard
  • Members
  • 135 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany

@Burkhard

It's very funny and very nice to hear that you listended to 'Vuurwerk', while I have never heard of it (or it's part of my dementia). :whistle:

However, I did listen every week to Alfred Lagarde's 'Betonuur' (hour of concrete) on Hilversum 3, by the VARA as well. Hardrock and heavy metal were the main ingredients in that show. It was seriously heavy!!! At the end they played  'The Heaviest Five', chosen by the listeners. :dwarf:

It was broadcasted from 1976 till 1982, 

I didn't get into metal before 1984, which explains why I never heard (of) "Betonuur". I think there was another Dutch metal programme after Vara's Vuurwerk. According to my memory, it was called "Bad Girl" and it had a female host, but I couldn't find any information about it online. (I hope I won't get accused of derailing this topic because of this off-topic reply.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users