Photo

Your TOP-5 of ANYTHING

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Harvest

Harvest
  • 1615 posts
  • GenderMale

Did you know that those pirates come from the Redbeard cartoon albums? The first time I saw them in a Asterix album, I had a 'wait-a-minute-I've-seen those pirates-before'-moment. It did cost quite a lot of my memory brain cells before the quarter dropped. Never seen that between 2 major cartoons-series before.

No, I've never read Redbeard-cartoons. But, I checked Goscinny and Uderzo had worked with the guy who drew these Redbeard-cartoons and Asterix-pirates we're meant to be a parody of that Redbeard-series. You learn smoething new every day :laugh: .

I think, I could make a top-5 of drummers as well, but that would be more on a general appeal basis than on how they are technical rated, since I don't have that knowledge.

Yeah, don't know that much about the technical side, either. I never really liked those most technical drummers, singers or guitarists. It's mostly about how their playing seems to fit the song, in my opinion. This guy pretty much sums my thoughts. 

5. Jukka Nevalainen - I just like Jukka behind the drums and his personality

Jukka is a good example. Not the best or the most technical drummer, but he has style. I've always loved how he plays She Is My Sin. I really dislike that basic power metal double bass-snare-thing (you know the one in almost each and every Stratovarius-song, for example). I find it really boring. But this one, there are all kinds of tasteful little fills and double-bass patterns and the overall rhythmic design is fantastic. 

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1844 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Kingdom Of Taai-Taai

@Harvest

Yep, I agree with that guy that the song dictates the drumming. I f you got a simple song, there's absolutely no need to go full out, because you'll ruin the song. So, the perfect drummer for me would be the ones that hits their stuff in perfect function to the song, but I dont mind a bit of a show. The drummers always seem to be a bit hidden away, although they are the heartbeat of the band. However, during a song, I'll always follow the drums with my fingers.  

My favourite video's of Jukka are 'Nemo' and 'Ever dream' on Showtime, Storytime. It's filmed beautifully and you get a real connection with what Jukka's doing and his enjoyment.

Nemo

Ever Dream

Coming back to those Redbeard comic strips, they are one of my all time favourite series. So, it's a small step to post my top-5 of comic strips.

Because Belgium is the centre of European comic strips (/Kuifje (Tintin)/Smurfs/Lucky Luke/Redbeard/Suske & Wiske (Spike and Suzy) etc.) and most of those will always be released in the Netherlands (through Dutch as the common language), it's no wonder I have been influenced by those a lot, even if the subjects are not remotely European. 

1. The Blue Coats (BEL) - Played out during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and while funny, the stories are mostly built on historically based facts, which gives it another quality dimension.

the main culprits Chesterfield and Blutch

deblauwbloezen.jpg

2. Redbeard (BEL/FRA) - A realistic drawn series, based on mutineers, pirates and the wild seas in the 18th century. Fleets and politics of England, France, Spain, Portugal, USA, Netherlands and the Mediterranean states are often involved.   

354_Roodbaard10_PR.jpg

3. Asterix (FRA) - what can I say? It's funny, it's also often based on historical facts, it's very original. Already the names are hilarious in every language. I also do own a few books about the Asterix series.

4. The Macaroni's (NL) - A hilarious series about an Italian mafia family who combine their daily criminal activities with running a football team.

vendetta%20fr.jpg

5. Lucky Luke (BEL) - it was close with others (Lt. Blueberry/Buck Danny/FC Knudde) but Lucky Luke made it to no.5. The man who shoots faster than his shadow, has an incredible intelligent horse called Jolly Jumper and an awful stupid dog named Rataplan and who spends most of his time chasing the 4 Daltons brothers. 

388aaf8f3404a5a909ab71b01fb5a9f5.jpg

In his album The Bounty hunter, the bounty hunter is modelled on Lee van Cleef in his role as mercenary in 'The good, the bad & the ugly', the best western ever made.

EB_Lv_K.jpg

Reading comic strips was one of my many occupations during my younger years and I still carry the 'scars'!  :)

´dance me to your beauty with a burning violin, 

lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,

raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn,

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

Slayed Dreamer

Slayed Dreamer
  • 504 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationFinland

Talking about drummers, eh? Uhm.. I probably shouldn't, but... well, it is extremely hard for me to choose 5 top drummers anyway, but this is my current list:

1. Jeff Porcaro
2. Jeff Porcaro
3. Jeff Porcaro
4. Jeff Porcaro
5. Jeff Porcaro

No, just kidding. It COULD BE that, but for real my biggest influences have been:

1. Jeff Porcaro (Rosanna shuffle, anyone...? AND 4500 other groovy tracks he recorded)
2. Cozy Powell (Long live Rock 'n' roll album - you know what I am talking about)
3. John Bonham (No need to say more, the grandfather of THE triplet fills and heavy laid back playing)
4. Simon Phillips (Awesome technique and control of the dynamics).
5. Phil Rudd (Keep It Simple, Stupid, But Make It Your Own)

.. and about a dozen finnish drummers I like, including Kai Hahto. 

Graphic Designer & illustrator from Finland • Drumming, guitar playing & singing – just the things you cannot live without • NW fan since 1999

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1844 posts
  • GenderMale

@Slayed Dreamer

I would have loved so much to do a romantic shuffle with that Rosanna if you know who I mean!! :)

My top-5 of favourite members who have disappeared in the mist of the last years (or by ban):

1. Angelheart

2. Osugi Akuma-san

3. Bee82

4. Revamp

5. Shoshone

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

GhostHell

GhostHell
  • 869 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationBrazil

My top 5 favourite Delain songs:

1. Danse Macabre

2. The Glory and the Scum

3. Army of Dolls

4. The Tragedy of the Commons

5. Get the Devil Out of Me

Proud member of the nightwishforum.com since Wednesday, the 28th of May 2014. Also served as moderator for the official Portuguese forum during two years. Is kinda fanatic for Nightwish. :)

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1844 posts
  • GenderMale

My favourite 5 things to do with water:

1. Drink it

2. Jump in it

3. Travel on it

4. Look at it

5. Cook in it

Harvest

Harvest
  • 1615 posts
  • GenderMale

Top 5 Stephen King-books:

5.The Shining

4.Firestarter

3.Misery

2.The Dead Zone

1. Pet Sematary

And Top 5 Morricone movie compositions:

5. Machine Gun Lullaby - The Untouchables