• Please log in to reply
1679 replies to this topic

SamB12

SamB12
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLondon

Although they are far more adventurous and innovative than Nightwish in their career, I personally think Within Temptation suffers a bit from the same problem: both NW with Emppu, as WT with Ruud & Stefan, don't get enough space to shine as guitarists to add that special layer of sound and creativeness to a song.
Not that it's 100% absolutely necessary, but it can add so much more to already fantastic music.
Remember how David Gilmour totally lightens up Pink Floyd-songs with his solo's and there are many more examples.To be honest, I can't remember any long solo's from WT at all on their studio albums. Maybe there are a few live, but I can't recall any. Maybe that someone can post some video's that I've never seen before of long WT-guitar solo's.   :dunno:

Saying that, I must confess that I think that Sharon simply sings too much on songs. Sometimes so much, especially live, that her effort and pronounciation gets a bit drowned. They have so many fantastic songs that are suitable for a guitar solo treatment and where a bit less of Sharon's singing would improve the quality of the songs. But my guess is that Sharon, as founder/composer/writer, has quite a big say in how it all turns out.  
Can you imagine how exciting a guitar duel between Ruud and Stefan on a song like 'The heart of everything' or 'Stairway to the skies' would be? Not to mention how epic that could be live? For me this is the thing I miss most, while listening to both WT and NW.

Just listen to some Maiden United-songs if you want to hear Ruud get his fix of solo's, because the man can play!
And it doesn't have to be screaming metal guitars either!

I agree Ruud and Stefan/ Robert should be be able to show off there skills more. There is a bit of a duel on the song "Hand of Sorrow" which i like but am always a bit dissapointed that it didn't lead to anything more. The song itself is one of my favorites of theirs though. Does Robert play on the albums or is it Stefan? I wonder how much input Stefan has on t he songs. I presume its mostly Sharon and Robert writing though.

Fixed the quote. - Dandelion

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1900 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Kingdom Of Stamppotten

There's absolutely nothing going on at WT's fansite (their latest contribution is from the 14th of November last year and that's a 'fan of the week'-thing :woot:) and apart from some Black X-mas promotion, the same goes for their Facebook. No appearances on tv, radio or 'dancing with the stars' either. 

Have they gone on a prolonged ski holiday, are they in hibernation or are they working 24/7 on their new album? Can't remember such a long period of inactivity in the media, so it must mean something good!

For all of their hibernation victims, a collection of their live performances. The poster says they are the best, but that's for everyone him/herself to decide. It will keep you off the streets for a prolific 7000 and 47 seconds!! ;)

´dance me to your beauty with a burning violin, 

lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,

raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn,

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 2341 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece
Yesterday Sharon posted a picture from the atudio on her Facebook and asked people to be patient for what's coming!

Serena

Serena
  • Moderador
  • 2690 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationSpain

Nice compilation!!!  :music:  :music:

hunebedbouwer

hunebedbouwer
  • 1900 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationThe Kingdom Of Stamppotten

Got nothing better to do at this moment, so I'll just write a few predictions how I think WT's next album is going to turn out.

A) It's going to be a thematic album.

B) Probably based on a big historical event.

C) It could be a double album if A &B were to be true. 

D) There will be ONE duet with a very big name on this release; it might be a very unusual name again.

E) It will be one of their best ever albums.

F) They will score a Top-10 hit again in the NL and other European countries, possibly the UK.

G) The release date will  be short before Christmas (I'm afraid to say which year).

H) There will be at least 5 different editions of this new album released, the most expensive will be one in a glittering dark box, costing 59,95 euro excluding postal costs.

:)  :music:  :P

´dance me to your beauty with a burning violin, 

lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove,

raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn,

we're both of us beneath our love, we're both of us above, dance me till the end of love´

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users