Sports

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

nameless

nameless
  • 823 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
Since we dn´t have this kind of topic here and there will be The European football championship soon it is time for a sports topic!!

This is the place to discuss any kind of sports. Well probably this will be mainly used for football discussion, but other sports are welcome.

But I will start with soccer:
I liked this season! In germany my local team did quite well and next year we will play the European League again!! :D
English leage was very exciting on the last match day!! Spanish league was exciting concerning who would ave to go to the segunda dvision (I´ve seen a spanish match during my last vacation and since then I am sort of a Granada supporter and it was very dangerous for them but Villareal, who even played Champions League this year, has to go down)!

After a really good season the german league had a relegation match in the german league yesterday. It was the club from our capital Hertha BSC Berlin who played in the 1st league this year against Fortuna Düsseldorf from the second league.
Well Düsseldorf won it, but there has been a quite huge scandal: http://ca.sports.yah...-051015374.html
And here is a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnL_wkyPIw
Hertha protested against the match and we will see the result on friday. So it might happen that the match will be repeated or even that it will be counted as a win for Hertha :/

Well I have to say I have to say those are very ugly pictures, but I don´t understand why they seem to start a discussion like: "How come that fans can bring fireworks into the venues? We need to have more controls to stop that" Hello how do you want to do that? 60.000 or more people... Shall everyone go in there naked? You cannot find everything, That does not even work a the airport, how shall this work in a football stadium? Arrgh I am afraid I will have to take an earlier train next season, cause the controls will take a lot more time :/ And I think that our security system is already quite strict and good (in Spain I thought they did not eve have one)! How is it in other countries? Are there any recent violence problems?

*Life is not the opposite of death! Death is the opposite of birth! Life is eternal*
~~~You wanna fly, so you drag on flies! Drag on dragonflies~~~

>>>Now, fear is not a gentle thing although it has no fists, It crawls down from your thoughts and ties you by your skinny wrists. Death will take your lips from you so that you cannot kiss. But fear will leave you screaming out for all the lobe you'll miss (Kyla La Grange, The River)<<<

Guest_Irkalla_*

Guest_Irkalla_*
  • Guests
Since I don't follow soccer I'll interject with some NHL conversation. Anyone else following it? I'm rooting for the New York Rangers, like I have been all season. This current series is a bit weird for me, since I'm from New Jersey but don't care for the Devils because I like winning and don't like stupid state myths and especially don't like Newark. NYR already took game one, and I'm pretty confident they can win the rest of the series within 5 games. I'd love to see the Kings advance to the finals, too. NYR-LAK final would be so badass.

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
NHL isn't something I can get on with, I just don't really get into hockey, I've enjoyed playing the old Mega Drive/Genesis games and will catch the odd game if it happens to be on at a reasonable time though. Would like to see my local boys (Rangers <_<) pull through.

Back to England with football and once again the England squad raise more than a few eyebrows. Most notably only one striker who ever plays (and he's suspended for two of the three games we have for sure) and at the back. Woy has gone with the defender (and ex-captain) who's facing trial for racism over the brother of the player who was racially abused. Yes we all know the British legal system will find him innocent despite the video evidence showing him do it. After all our new captain was able to beat a DJ who didn't play a song he wanted to a bloody pulp and still be found innocent because "you can kick a ball quite well". Oh England, let the summers comedy commence!

Still not as funny as Liverpool fans in mourning because a bad manager was sacked....

Away from football and the first test between England and the West Indies is kicking off today, think England will win it quite comfortably as the Windies don't look very good at all these days. Think the one day games will be closer but for now one's hopeful, if it's not rained off for days!

nameless

nameless
  • 823 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
Ahhhhh damn!!!!! I am no Munich Fan at all, but this tim I really wanted them to win!!!! :dash: :dash: :dash: :dash:

*Life is not the opposite of death! Death is the opposite of birth! Life is eternal*

>>>Now, fear is not a gentle thing although it has no fists, It crawls down from your thoughts and ties you by your skinny wrists. Death will take your lips from you so that you cannot kiss. But fear will leave you screaming out for all the lobe you'll miss (Kyla La Grange, The River)<<<

PumpkinTrooper

PumpkinTrooper
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHellas
^ It was hightime Abramovic won a champions leaugue . Chealsea deserves to have a champions laugue ,certainly not this season , but in general there were 2 or 3 seasons some years ago when chelsae could have won it fair and square . I guess ,even in the long run , soccer justice served.

As far as soccer riots are concerned , I find it hilarious when sth like that happens that all the journalists in TV pretend to know everything and ask themselves "how do they get these things inside the stadium ,where's the police ,etc " .The truth is that most of them are cluessless over what really happens. So you wanna see flares ,check this video .My team Aris Thessaloniki against arch-rival Paok .Wonder how we got those flares in ? Where there is a will there is a way :)

Solstice_Of_Light

Solstice_Of_Light
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationEurope
Aside from football, Badminton's Thomas and Uber cups are underway (Mens and Womens team competitions). Running up to the olympics, it's a good gauge for how preparations are going.

PumpkinTrooper

PumpkinTrooper
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHellas
^Always wondered ,what's Badminton ? I mean i know they play with a " feather " but is it like tennis or sth ?

em_j_ottermaster

em_j_ottermaster
  • 1165 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationDorne, Westeros
lol love that this is "sports" but the tags are "football, soccer" and other european things :P
But in MY world of sport (Australia), we have the Rugby League State of Origin on wednesday, which is basically the best and most watched "special" game of Rugby League in the world. As in, its not club competition, its 2 Aussie sates, New South Wales, vs Queensland and its the highest quality game of league that you will ever see- its shown live in like over a hundred countries or something... i highly recommend people check it out if they can... go the NSW blues!

jag älskar min smaskiga kålrot <3 Winter is coming....Family, Duty, Honor....Fire and Blood....Ours is the Fury

Taikottertalvi, Ottertime, Ghost Otter, Slow Otter Slow, I want my otters back, Ottertail, Otteresque, Turn loose the otters, Rest otters, The otter the otter and the otter, Last otter of the day, Song of Otters, Imaginotterum.- Yappo

Posted Image

Solstice_Of_Light

Solstice_Of_Light
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationEurope
http://www.youtube.c...d?v=RyTl5Qwg_CY
That's live as I post.
Basically it's principle is similar to tennis. Get it over the net :P
The racket's a bit different, the shuttle isn't quite a ball, and the style of play is different.
Personally, I think badminton has more dimensions than tennis, and can be very fast indeed. Especially mens' doubles :)

edit:// It might be interesting to say that the shuttles travel faster than your average sports car :P
edit2:// Just checked how fast an F1 car goes: 350km/h. Fastest badminton smash: 332km/h.

dragonprincess

dragonprincess
  • 1097 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
I don't care much about football but I'm looking forward to the European championship and I think we'll do quite well this time. At least I hope that we'll reach the final. Hehehe. :)

"But one day'll cease to be

Greet the last light of the library"

19.03.08 - 18.03.09 - 14.04.12 - 03.05.12 - 21.11.15

The Escapist - Official Tuomas Holopainen Website

nameless

nameless
  • 823 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
So PupkinTrooper, you are a hooligan? :P But wow, I have never seen so much pyro in a match! Well and here they at as if we have so bad problems, cause there were a few things with pyros, where no one was hurt...
But that video looked very dangerous!

em_j: well I taged it and I could have gone on forever, but since I am european the sports that came to my mind first are the ones that are very popular over here! And there are so many sports bt I did not want to make 100 tags...

PumpkinTrooper

PumpkinTrooper
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHellas
^Haha ,no of course i am not a hooligan . I'm just saying that here in Greece having the best pyro ,the most noisy crowd ,etc is a championship by itself . So the journalist that say all kind of crap cannot understand this because they re clueless.Yes there is sport violence but let's not exaggerate aboit it ,perceiving everything as a possible lethal weapon .As far as how dangerous it is , i guess it comes down to the well-known knife example (you can use a knife to cut your meat or to stab sb , same with flares ).

I'll try and watch some Badminton since i found tennis interesting ( up to a point of course :P )

About the upcoming european championship i am sorry to be the bearer of bad news to you guys ,but it is 2004 all over again :D

nameless

nameless
  • 823 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
I was joking cause you said "wonder how we got those flares in" :P
Well as long as people just hold it its OK for me, but leately here you saw many of those being thrown ... And I have to say I don´t want to be hit by one... (Well our fans did not throw them yet, and I hope it stays like this cause I do stand beneath them :P
I just hope that the whole discussion calms down and they do not try to act fast and realize their stupid idea like having no standing places anymore (cause I want to keep my standing place)

Ahh no, it´s not 2004 again!!! You don´t have Otto Rehagel anymore!!! (Oh by the way,
he is/was the trainer of Hertha, the one that is protesting against the result because of those people on the playground in the video I posted)
It is 1990, right!!!

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
It wasn't that long ago in Greece that a match degenerated into molotov cocktails and pitched battles... March in fact, so while a general thing may not be "so" bad, there are few places that can get worse. Maybe Donetsk if you happen to support a team like Munich or Spurs...

I apologise, on behalf of my nation and the sport of football, for Chelski. They have spent £1 billion to do it but no football team should be rewarded for refusing to actually play football. I'm sorry to our German neighbours and all football fans for such an injustice.

Still, at least Luton stay down in the Conference, fits in perfectly with the above discussion on hooliganism really.

Oh and Frankel became the greatest ever racehorse officially, and so it should. That horse is an absolute machine, never seen a horse change gears so seamlessly and easily. Managed to win by 5 lengths without even trying.

I again, whole heartedly apologise for Chelski, we can rest on our laurels that such a thing will never happen again.

Oh and while Em_J was talking about the vastly inferior code :P Leinster become the first team in Union to become European Champions 3 times in 4 years, starting to dominate the game something chronic. Championship playoffs should be coming up soon as well, another end of season.

Bloody hell I hate being off for most of a weekend, all my talk becomes garbled sentences :P

Solstice_Of_Light

Solstice_Of_Light
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationEurope

I'll try and watch some Badminton since i found tennis interesting ( up to a point of course :P )

Well, the youtube channel: http://www.youtube.c...f?feature=watch
will be streaming live matches all week, but if you want an example of the best:

PumpkinTrooper

PumpkinTrooper
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHellas
@Jamie Lankyster : You re probably reffering to the Panathinaikos -Olympiakos . It was said that it was caused by anarchists since it didn't occur at the ultras gate but near the expensive seats , but i can't know for sure. I guess you re not a fun of Chelsea to say that . I supported Chelsea cause i always side with the weak . I think that's the beauty of soccer , that there are ways even for a not so skilled team to win the match.

@nameless : I actually prefer our current coach Fernado Sandos, though Otto has a place in our hearts.The problem is that the players we had at 2004 were better than those we have now but anyhow we re always the worst team before the tournament starts, it's the team spirit that works for us not individual skills. It's one of the things that i appreciate in the Germany squad. Ever since i watched football ,say 20 years , Germany always was a favorite for winning the cup and almost every time did very well at the tournament without having top class players.Their team spirit and determination is to be
admirred.Most likely the Euro 2012 will end up in spanish hands again , 2nd favorite is Holland for me,and then i give germany and france an equal share. England and Portugal have to accept that they just cannot win the cup :P

@Solcite of Light : thanks a lot .It kind of looks like sci-fi tennis :D.Very fast

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
Well there was that major incident, and the "do NOT wear team colours when travelling" thing that we've always received and that many of my friends make a point of getting to the opposite end of the country if they can when a games on nearby. ;) Of course not all fans are like that though, it's a problem within certain sections that sooner or later people will deal with, just hope it doesn't take a "Liverpool" to have it passed on.

Nice to hear someone rooting for Chelsea, everyone over here was hoping the racist gangster bastards would get done, then they refuse to even play football which meant that people don't even say "hey, they earnt it" and give them some credit :P

HooPee

HooPee
  • Moderator/Moderaattori
  • 5252 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationTampere, Finland
Mostly, I'm not huge fan of sports. Gymnastics and figure skating, only events which I follow. Sometimes also ice-hockey but that's it. Last year, when Finnish ice-hockey team won gold, I slept. So that may tells how much I really care about ice-hockey.

And I'll speak to you silently
And know that you'll hear me
The feeling is more than I've ever known

nameless

nameless
  • 823 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationGermany
@PumpkinTooper: I hope we will do good cause I think that currently we might have both, individual outstanding players and the team spirit! Maybe some are even a bit too young now or maybe that is even a good thing cause that also means that they are not (yet) on an ego trip like so many superstars are! Well we also have Özil, who is (kind of a ) Star but I think he is a good team player aswell!!
I think that Holland is not that good! I don´t know but somehow I think that Italy might be a surprise!
As for Greece: The group you are in is really good for you cause there I could not tell who is the fovourite (Maybe Russia)

Funny that some English people were against Chelsea, cause here even those wo normally are against Munich were mostly cheering for them

Btw is anyone here following the swimming championship in Budapest??

Jaime Lankyster

Jaime Lankyster
  • 842 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationLanky Rock
Pretty much everyone hates them, it takes a lot to unify people over here with german counterparts but there's a lot to dislike about them. The most plastic fans in the land, their gangster links, the racism all over the club including their club captain so not just the fans and general attitude. People just loathe them!

Guest_Irkalla_*

Guest_Irkalla_*
  • Guests
NJ managed to tie the series. Dear New York, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! It's like they don't believe in winning a bunch of games straight this playoff season. Nope, it's "win one, lose one, win one, lose one" all the way to game seven. STOP IT.

Ergil

Ergil
  • Banned
  • 231 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationMoscow
Wooohooo! Satan bless the Red Machine! Did you see how team Russia ****ed'em good on the hockey world cup? Not a single loss during the whole cup. Gold medals! A the title of the best player went to Yevgeniy Malkin. The guy is a killer... scores faster than I can drink beers.

PumpkinTrooper

PumpkinTrooper
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationHellas
^I was surprised when i learned that hockey is popular in Russia . I tought they only played in the US and Canada .So i wonder is hockey an american sport ,say like basketball ,which later came to Europe or not ? In other words in which country did thy first played hockey ?

Solstice_Of_Light

Solstice_Of_Light
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationEurope
Are you thinking of Hockey or Ice Hockey?
I'm not a hockey follower, but I don't remember america being in it...

Guest_Irkalla_*

Guest_Irkalla_*
  • Guests
Malkin is on the Pens and the Pens and Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh fans are terrible, so that automatically makes him terrible. And I think ice hockey was invented in Canada, but most teams in the NHL are American.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users