• Please log in to reply
2267 replies to this topic

profusion

profusion
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUSA
I finally watched the entire Orlando video. Overall, I really enjoyed Floor's performance. She owns "Amaranth" now, and I loved her performances of all the Tarja-era material, except for the coda section of "Ever Dream", where it modulates up to a higher key. Floor really struggled with that section--it was probably just beyond her comfortable range, though it's worth noting that Tarja sang it in a softer voice and Floor tries belting it. Floor might also do better singing it more softly. That's a great song, and one Floor probably needs to work on during the break. I thought Floor also did well with the Anette-era songs, though the "talk singing" approach of "Story Time" seems a little uncomfortable for her still.

My one general criticism of Floor's performances from the YouTube videos is that she seems a bit "pitchy" in places. Having seen her perform before and having seen many AF and ReVamp videos on YouTube, this seems uncharacteristic for her. My guess is that this is due to a combination of still learning the material and perhaps having some issues with the monitoring system.

I also listened to DPP for the first time in a long time, and that album, in my opinion, was written for a voice like Floor's. Anette's voice was swallowed up on that album, and Floor would have made it a complete masterpiece. Imaginaerum is a different story, of course. That more "conversational" style of singing doesn't suit Floor's voice as well.

maria beninca

maria beninca
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationBrazil

Personally speaking - and this is as someone who is NOT a singer! :P - I prefer having several projects bouncing around. I like the contrast between taking a lead on X and having less input to Y, for example, or being in my comfort zone with A and then being stretched by B and C. It keeps things fresh and challenging, and I also learn more from doing things I might not usually have done.

I'd love Floor to stick with ReVamp (I'm so excited for the new album!) and carry on doing stuff with Ayreon and MaYan and any other band that wants to use her brilliance - even Nightwish (on a temporary basis :P) Obviously we have no idea what she'll say if - IF - she's asked to join Nightwish full-time, but knowing Floor it won't be a decision she takes lightly.

[/2 cents]

I agree with you and I can add something to this:

I think, in the case of Nw, is good for the singer to have other projects, since most of process related to a band - such as composing and producing an album - are strongly focused, if not completely closed, in Tuomas. When the singer is not recording or touring, she is basically free to do what she wants. Well, NW was without a singer for quite a long time and they were still able to produce DPP! Anette even had a baby before Imaginarium! So, planty of time to work on other projects when not touring or recording with NW.
Tarja, Anette and Floor! Cheers to all Nightwish ladies, from past to now! :)

I got my tickets!Nightwish, December 9th, Porto Alegre - Brazil!I will meet you there!

angel_heart

angel_heart
  • 1365 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationRomania
The problem is that the projects, unless they are her own, don't really take into account when Floor is free. Artists have their projects and if Floor is busy with the band, then tough luck, bye bye, we'll find someone else. So she'd have to have a bit of luck for the projects she's invited to and she'd like to participate in to be in the same time she's free.
Don't want to live in a world that's dying, I want to die in a world that's living!

The meaning of life is to give life meaning, go too fast, move too slow.
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling, open up and let it flow

nikolapendulum

nikolapendulum
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationMontenegro
Well, I think that for a long time will stay Floor Jansen. Because it is clearly impossible that Tarja return in a band, I think that band will turn childish if they change singer every day. Now, Anette was a great choise, genious of a size of Thuomas Holopainen widened his own borders. Now, I hope that Thuomas made good choice with Floor Jansen. If one genious think that Floor is good, we fans can just say YES! And enjoy in Nightwish. Nightwish is not dependent on singer. Nightwish is eternity. Their music is art. They only depend on Thuomas Holopainen!

No excessive CAPS! - WhiteRaven

angel_heart

angel_heart
  • 1365 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationRomania
Floor is not their official singer, she's just a replacement and that was made abundantly clear. If they find someone else instead of Floor, it won't count as them changing singers.
And of course Nw depends on the singer, just like any other band. Listen to the same song sung by three different singers and tell me if you feel the same. The singer brings the song to life, without a singer to sing it and rightfully convey the story behind it, a song would be just notes on a paper. But it's ok, cuz Tuomas is god and he can magically make the music sheet sing with the divine voice in his head....
Don't want to live in a world that's dying, I want to die in a world that's living!

sahara

sahara
  • Members
  • 1214 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico
^ Finally someone that say it!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one who think like that....(you are talking seriously right?? XD it isn't sarcasm??)

''Music cleans souls everyday'' (Tarja Turunen)

''We have to keep the love going and music is the clue'' (Tarja and Floor live at MFVF) 

Traxan

Traxan
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • GenderMale
She may be temporary but let's face it, her reception has been overwhelmingly positive and I'm yet to see someone say they would rather have someone else. I don't know if she and Tuomas can be swayed by fan pressure, but right now the dominant sentiment is for her to stay permanently.

CenturyChild625

CenturyChild625
  • Members
  • 595 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationUSA
It's impossible to tell from Floor's own posts on either Instagram or Twitter if she intends to stay or has been invited to stay. I think she's excited about playing with them, but she seems more excited about working on the new ReVamp album. I won't get my hopes up about her joining permanently (though it would be nice).

Shows:

8/29/2008- Philadelphia, PA

5/3/2009- Allentown, PA

9/16/2012- Philadelphia, PA

Nocturna

Nocturna
  • 1312 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationPainted on the side of a Spitfire...
angel_heart, I do lobe you...

I'm glad people have responded so well to Floor, but I'm more glad that she seems so excited about the new ReVamp album. And I'm crossing everything I have that we get a UK tour for said new album - they were awesome supporting Epica but come ON, promoters!! Headline tour, please and thank you...

Official Forumbat Mommy and Lederhosen Toaster Groupie // Mother of the Poetry Forum and Curator of All Wisdom

Queen in the North, Jon Snow's Wildling Woman and Ygritte Worshipper // The Serial Killer Queen

I come bearing opinions and snark...

MÁNI

MÁNI
  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationReykjavik,Iceland
i'm dreaming that she will be the next singer! :D she's just amazing

Kiyo77

Kiyo77
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationUK
Anyone got a good quality video with Floor singing with Nightwish? Can only find poor ones with whoever is holding the camera screaming >__<

HooPee

HooPee
  • Moderator/Moderaattori
  • 4644 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationTampere, Finland
You should check Imaginaerum World Tour-thread, there's lots of videos.
This world is wonderful, so beautiful
If only you can open up your mind and see

Your world is everything you ever dreamed of
If only you can open up your mind and see

Broghdan

Broghdan
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • GenderMale
Congrats for bringing Floor on board. Best choice !

Magnus

Magnus
  • 2704 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSweden
I think Floor is excited to be able to say that she's performed with Nightwish and if she doesn't stay that will still be enough for her. She gets to have the cake an eat it too.

Florek777

Florek777
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationStalowa Wola (Poland)
Have you heard that Floor Jansen is 1,81 meter tall ?

I am 1,83 meter, and I tought that I'm big guy.

Cursarion

Cursarion
  • Moderator/Moderaattori
  • 1423 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationJoensuu, Finland
Umm... Yes? But it doesn't make you any smaller a guy. :P
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed are kings (or queens)

angel_heart

angel_heart
  • 1365 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationRomania

Have you heard that Floor Jansen is 1,81 meter tall ?

OH EM GEEEEEE!!!! She's so tall, she's like a freak of nature, I wonder how she can go out into the world being so tall! I bet her life is really special and she's really special since she's so freaking tall.

Oh god, enough with the height already. It's getting mentioned in every video and every topic She's a tall woman. Marco is a blond male. Tuomas has long hair. Big whooping deal...

Magnus

Magnus
  • 2704 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSweden
You forgot to mention that Empu is short. :P

Anyway, I don't think Florek777 meant anything bad with what he said.

Stargazer

Stargazer
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  • GenderNot Telling

OH EM GEEEEEE!!!! She's so tall, she's like a freak of nature, I wonder how she can go out into the world being so tall! I bet her life is really special and she's really special since she's so freaking tall.

Oh god, enough with the height already. It's getting mentioned in every video and every topic She's a tall woman. Marco is a blond male. Tuomas has long hair. Big whooping deal...

I don't think he meant anything by the post. Calm down.

I think Floor is beautiful - her height definitely accentuates her stage presence.

A lady with a violin, playing to the seals

angel_heart

angel_heart
  • 1365 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationRomania

You forgot to mention that Empu is short. :P

Right. I wanted to mention it and then forgot.

I don't think he meant anything by the post. Calm down.

I think Floor is beautiful - her height definitely accentuates her stage presence.

Yes, I know he didn't mean to insult her, but the general vibe of these posts is "wow, sooooo tall, how extraordinary". The freak of nature part was just a joke.

Nocturna

Nocturna
  • 1312 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationPainted on the side of a Spitfire...
I love the fact she still wears heels though. I know a handful of women who are almost as tall/as tall as Floor and they refuse to wear anything with even a sniff of a heel because "ZOMG ATTACK OF THE 50FT WOMAN!!!" Floor doesn't care, wears her heels and carries on. True pro...

And angel_heart, you missed out Jukka too! :( Oh wait, so do most people...so I guess that makes him the Invisible Man of the band! :P

Official Forumbat Mommy and Lederhosen Toaster Groupie // Mother of the Poetry Forum and Curator of All Wisdom

Queen in the North, Jon Snow's Wildling Woman and Ygritte Worshipper // The Serial Killer Queen

I come bearing opinions and snark...

Imagineer

Imagineer
  • 896 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGreece

Right. I wanted to mention it and then forgot.

So what now only Jukka is left out? :P

revamp

revamp
  • Banned
  • 227 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationPuerto Rico
this is a cool video that combines Floor live and Floor on CD

For those who says her operatic vocals are not that strong : Floor singing Opera O Mio Babbino Caro

Floor with Limo Orchestra - AMazing performance of After Forever's Dreamflight, here she shows her powerful belting and operatic skills!!!

Baki

Baki
  • 1391 posts
  • GenderNot Telling
  • LocationSerbia
Yes, her opera vocals are not that strong compared to opera singers. Because I find it kinda pointless to compare her interpretation of an opera aria to other metal wannabe-classical singers. This video just strengthened my opinion.
I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

revamp

revamp
  • Banned
  • 227 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Yes, her opera vocals are not that strong compared to opera singers. Because I find it kinda pointless to compare her interpretation of an opera aria to other metal wannabe-classical singers. This video just strengthened my opinion.

Ok Baki

Lets talk about Operatic in metal then :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users