The Gathering

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Guest_MusicNerd1791_*

Guest_MusicNerd1791_*
  • Guests
I decided to scroll though this forum to see if there was a "The Gathering" thread, and there wasn't one!!!

So I've decided to start one :D! I've recently discovered their music, and I was blown away! I still need to listen to all there records but I love the minimalist/progressive tone to their music.

PS. the only record that I own right now is "Home" so that technically makes me a noob to their music, I'm hoping to find more of their records soon. They could possibly be my new favorite band in 4 months xD.

scarletfall

scarletfall
  • 528 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationThe nearest body of water
Listen to How To Measure A Planet? next I kid you not. Aside from the final track that's just noise it's undiluted sonic bliss for it's entire duration.

So yeah I LOVE The Gathering. I prefer their later stuff (HTMAP, Souvenirs, if_then_else) and the live album Sleepy Buildings. Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are great albums as well basically I think all their albums are fantastic from whence Anneke partook of them and The West Pole was totally gorgeous.
Yeah, I love The Gathering. :wub:
ME: *walks into wall*
ME: sorry, i have a dir en grey in my eye
優しすぎる悲鳴、愛は形を変えて。その胸に突き刺さる程の刃を心にくれ生きる事を許してくれますか?

Guest_MusicNerd1791_*

Guest_MusicNerd1791_*
  • Guests
Thanks, I'm still digesting Home right now, but I'll try How to Measure a planet next. These guys are just so GOOD!

Nienor

Nienor
  • Members
  • 794 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationBulgaria
I have listened only Mandylion and Nighttime birds. Not actually the music I listen usually, but deffinatly is very athmospheric.

Let it be prog...

Baki

Baki
  • 2493 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany
Me too, plus Sleepy Buildings live, which is my favourite from those, they just work so much better without the heavy production. Haven't checked any of their stuff with new singer, I'm just too hooked to Anneke's voice.

I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

laputa

laputa
  • Members
  • 453 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUK
I absolutely love this band. Any album from the Anneke era is a stone cold classic. Not just because her exquisite voice, but the whole songwriting is stunning!

Home is a very good album, but just blag it and buy the whole lot. The new album is okay as well, but with Anneke they were something truly special. I love Mandylion and Souvenirs the most, but they are all terrific!!
STARSHIPS ARE MEANT TO FLLLLLLLYYYYY!!

Laputa the CASTLE IN THE SKY!!

stargazer_eternal

stargazer_eternal
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationColumbus, OH
I think How to Measure a Planet? is my personal favorite, but it's a bit long, so I probably listen to Nighttime Birds or Souvenirs more. They're one of those bands that I think actually improved as they shed themselves of their old sound. I haven't really followed them since Anneke's departure, regrettably, but anything Mandylion through Home is classic.

jefftheterrible

jefftheterrible
  • 817 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationBroomfield, Colorado
They started off as a much, much different band. If you end up getting something like Always or the compilation Downfall: The Early Years, DO NOT expect it to sound like the material from The Gathering which you've already heard.
I never really got too into this band, although I did get the Adrenaline/Leaves, How To Measure a Planet, and Liberty Bell singles as part of a trade some years ago. By this point, they'd had a major style shift and played the atmospheric rock they became famous for rather than what they played when I first heard them. Really enjoyed those singles, in spite of the style shift, though one or another always managed to get in the way of buying the full-length albums or keeping up with the band.

The end is nigh

AIDStagram

Baki

Baki
  • 2493 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany
Which one of those atmospheric rock albums would you recommend to listen to first?

I joined the original nightwish.com forum on 3rd February 2003, and have made there exactly 3,091 posts. Then I joined the Nightwish-world forum on 28th August 2009, and made there exactly 451 posts. I joined this forum on 4th December 2011. I couldn't care less how many posts I am going to make here.

laputa

laputa
  • Members
  • 453 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUK
The Anneke era:

MANDYLION: A beautiful, atmospheric masterpiece that is simply indescribable. Although it plays like one long track it is simply spellbinding, with Strange Machines, In Motion II and Leaves in particular standing out as classics. Unmissable, this album is a treat. Get it, it is raw but unmissable.

NIGHTTIME BIRDS: The perfect follow up to Mandylion, this album sees Anneke improving her craft steadily and some of the songs stand out as amongst the finest ever released by any band, ever. Want proof? Try Confusion, Third Chance, Nighttime Birds or the wonderful closer Shrink. This is musical perfection.

HOW TO MEASURE A PLANET: Just wonderful. The band branch out into more diverse genres, standing alongside Radiohead and Massive Attack as masters of electronic music. They sound like no one else on this album, and Marooned, Travel, My Electricity off the first disc are standouts. The 20 minute plus title track is a head scratcher, but relax and go with the flow and you'll find yourself mesmerized by its unique charm. It's easily one of the finest songs in their catalogue, but you must have an open mind. And again, you need to relax as plays. Not perfect, but easily another world class effort. Do not miss this one.

if_then_else: This follow up to HTMAP? is an overlooked gem. It brings back the character of earlier albums whilst pushing the band's electronic edge even further. Amity, Saturnine and Rollercoaster are further classics. One of my favourite albums, it's a magnificent release.

SOUVENIRS: Just get it. This is possibly the wild card selection as it almost sounds like a different band altogether, but I really believe in my heart that this is the album to best introduce newcomers to. You Learn About It is one of the finest pop songs ever written, and should have been a massive hit upon release. Anneke is amazing on this album, and opener Even The Spirits Are Afraid is one of the nicest, most sinister sounding songs ever written. This is a winter album. Play it when it's snowy outside, and it's oddly warming. Another classic.

HOME: It isn't altogether new in sound. It follows on with the direction of the previous album, but again it's one of the band's finest. It's beautiful and an amazing album to relax to. All traces of metal are removed ed on this release, but it's not commercial, it's not easy listening, but it is another experience that must be taken. A wonderful send off to Annekes time with this band.

Sadly, the follow up albums lack the character that define the Anneke era as something special. Buy them, in there own way they are fantastic albums, but Mandylion through to Souvenirs are the unmissable classics.

Also, SLEEPY BUILDINGS: a semi acoustic concert recorded in full. This is without a doubt a desert island disc. If you are going to own just one Gathering album, make it this one. Anneke sounds like a goddess on this release, and many of the recordings on this album are superior to the original, more electric studio recordings. Amity and In Motion II are delicious on this album. The warmth of the concert is almost edible, and if you shut your eyes you are pretty much in that room.

Just get them all. I don't know any other band who have changed so much from their early days, and I cannot see how anybody could not find something to enjoy from this band.

Baki

Baki
  • 2493 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationGermany
Wow, thanks for those descriptions, those later-Anneke era albums sound like something I must hear. I heard Even the Spirits would be Afraid on her solo concert in Budapest, and I fell in love with the song.

Biased

Biased
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSalland
Love The Gathering, one of my favorite bands.

The 'Anneke era' is indeed the Golden era and Mandylion and Nighttime Birds was my introduction to female fronted metal, I also think their first album "Always..." is highly underrated. Perhaps not a classic, but still a very good album.

Nocturnal

Nocturnal
  • Members
  • 100 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationQuébec
Count me in as a huge the Gathering fan as well, especially the Anneke era. I love the Sleepy buildings live. It's so beautiful and I can't decide which song is my favorite.

The Gathering to me, are a kick in the face to metal purists : their death metal albums are their weakest, and even when distancing themselves from metal music they keep putting out incredible albums :P

NightGuide

NightGuide
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • GenderMale
Huge Gathering fan here as well. Haha

I must be an exception here, but I prefer Silje's voice over Anneke's in The Gathering. Not that I dislike Anneke as a singer, she is brilliant! But I prefer her voice in her solo work than with the band. Dunno why. I knew Silje's band before she joined TG and I always digged her voice so much. I think she has such a beautiful velvet voice. It's really charming. Like if she was a female version of Katatonia's singer. xD No wonder her voice complemented his voice really well in the duet from Katatonia's new album.

To the ones who are skeptical with the post-anneke material, you should definitely give it a try. In The West Pole album, Silje's voice sounds kinda repressed or shy, if you know what I mean. Dunno if it was a production thing, or if she was kinda shy because all the songs were ready when she joined the band. It's a very mellow album, but hopefull at the same time. I love that album.

The new album Disclosure is definitely a masterpiece!!! I think it is my favorite album from them. Silje's voice is freer and the songs are all so different from each other. It's really interesting. They are masters of arranging the songs with electronic effects and a few string players. If I wasn't following their career for years I would tell they would be big, expensive american producer stars. Silje also experiments with different vocal melodies. It reminds me of Cocteau Twins and those top alternative 80s bands. It's another album with a great feeling.

They definitely have such a big talent they should be much better known around the globe, but I think their do-it-yourself approach kinda hold them down a little bit. Anyway, as long as they are happy, we are happy. Their beautiful music will always be beautiful anyway.

laputa

laputa
  • Members
  • 453 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUK
I think her voice may grow on me, it just hasn't happened yet! It's a "nice" voice, but for me it lacks a certain feeling that anneke had. But...I do like the music on the new album. A lot. So who knows!

Emej

Emej
  • 93 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationPoland
I really like their "metal years" 1992-1997.Mandylion is a great album.After Nighttime Birds I lost my interest, so this band was someway "dead for me" for years but I heard last album and it's still not my cup of tea (some influences of alternative and post-rock) but I enjoy few tracks such a "heroes for ghosts"

roestseel

roestseel
  • Members
  • 1705 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationManila, Philippines
At last, I found this section. A big TG fan also here....
I started with "Home" as well, which was their most recent release on that year.
I like it but not too much...until I discover Mandylion and Nighttime birds. I easily got attached and LOVED it!

HTMAP - I find it hard to sink in on the first listen but there are remarkable songs like Illuminating, Travel and Rescue me. After few spins, it grew on me and I like it better than ITE, Souvenirs and Home.

I also love the first album (with Bart Smiths), "Always..". But not, "Almost a dance". :D

Like everyone said, everything they put out with Anneke are all treasures.

laputa

laputa
  • Members
  • 453 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUK
Anneke and the gathering were something special. Remarkable even.

Without each other, I find them merely ok. Not amazing, not exactly mediocre. But the chemistry on the albums from Mandylion through to Home is rare. Its not a bad thing, perhaps had they stayed together for one more album they may have released something subpar. Anneke is still doing fine on her own, but for the price it costs to buy her music in the UK, it simply isn't worth it, in my opinion. I would never say that about her work with the gathering, mind you. I would see her live though.

I am finding Disclosure difficult still. It just lacks a personality. Its beautiful in parts, but Silje simply lacks any vocal charisma.

roestseel

roestseel
  • Members
  • 1705 posts
  • GenderMale
Yes, every song is such a masterpiece!!!
That reminds me of her performances during Dynamo festival (shown in the In Motion DVD).

laputa

laputa
  • Members
  • 453 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationUK
Played Mandylion again today, while preparing a roast dinner. What wonderful music to chill out to while working! Such a soothing, emotional, atmospheric and captivating listening experience!

I think it is their masterpiece. The rest is still stellar, but the rawness and appealing production values hit an emotional nerve. It was bliss in the kitchen when this gem played! It never gets old.

roestseel

roestseel
  • Members
  • 1705 posts
  • GenderMale
"How to Measure A Planet" was the most played album of TG for the last 7 days. I sooo love "Illuminating"!!!

roestseel

roestseel
  • Members
  • 1705 posts
  • GenderMale
I am now getting hooked with Silje's voice. Her performance in Disclosure are soooo... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Biased

Biased
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • GenderMale
  • LocationSalland

The Gathering with Bart & Marieke in 1992:

And 20 years later in '92 line up:

roestseel

roestseel
  • Members
  • 1705 posts
  • GenderMale

Meltdown (Live)

And the new songs from "Afterwords"

"Echoes keep growing"

"Afterwords" (with Bart Smiths) -- reminds me a lot of Dead Can Dance

HooPee

HooPee
  • Moderator/Moderaattori
  • 5253 posts
  • GenderFemale
  • LocationTampere, Finland
From The Gathering's facebook:

Dear friends,

With some great shows and the release of ‘Afterwords’, a special album that had a fantastic response, we had agood year. But looking in the near future we have decided that we all need a break. After almost 25 years of making albums, touring, etc, we need some time to reconsider how we will shape the future of TG. Also, Marjolein has decided to take other directions and go her own path. We have played, toured and made music together forten years with a lot of joy. She is a great person and musician and she will be missed by all of us. We wish her only good things for the future. 
We want to inform you that the shows next week in Nijmegen and Dordrecht (the Netherlands) will be the last ones for a while, and the last ones with Marjolein. We want to thank you for your enduring support, and hope to see you at one of the shows.

“Dear fans & friends of The Gathering, 

I have something to tell you, because after quite some time of thinking I have decided to leave The Gathering. 

The ten years with The Gathering have been a great experience for me and a dream come true. Making music, traveling all over the world and meeting wonderful people everywhere: I am very thankful and happy to have been a part of this. 
But in this life things change, and that's a good thing. Life is never boring. I feel it's time for me to moveon and focus on new things. Also musically. 
So, with this backpack full of great memories I look forward to what the future will bring. The open road is inspiring, I guess that's the beauty of uncertainty. 

From the bottom of my heart I want to thank everybody for their love and support throughout the years. 
I'm looking forward to play two intense final shows in Nijmegen and Dordrecht & hope more good music and experiences will follow.

Until we meet again!

Lots of love,
Marjolein”

And I'll speak to you silently
And know that you'll hear me
The feeling is more than I've ever known

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users